The Pritikin Edge
||Vogel RA, Lehr PT
||Simon & Schuster
| Year Published:
AthleteInMe.com® Rating: Excellent!
The Pritikin Edge summarizes the diet and nutrition program of the Pritikin Longevity Center in Miami, FL. If you want to learn how to eat healthy, then this book is for you!
ABOUT THE AUTHORS
• Robert A. Vogel, MD is a cardiologist and professor of medicine at the University of Maryland. He is Pritikin's chief medical director. He is a consultant to the National Institutes of Health and the National Football League.
• Paul Tager Lehr is the president of the Pritikin Organization. He is the son of Pritikin co-founder David Lehr, MD. In 1977, Dr. Lehr appeared with Nathan Pritikin on 60 Minutes.
The 375-page book is organized as follows:
PART I: THE PRITIKIN PHILOSOPHY
- Chapter 1: Lifestyle and Heart Disease
- Chapter 2: The Heart of the Matter
- Chapter 3: The Weight/Health Connection
- Chapter 4: The Science of Weight Loss
PART II: THE 10 ESSENTIALS OF THE PRITIKIN PROGRAM
- Chapter 5: Healthy, Satisfying Eating Starts with Super Salads, Soups, Whole Grains, and Fruit
- Chapter 6: Eliminate High-Calorie Beverages
- Chapter 7: Trim Portions of Calorie-Dense Foods
- Chapter 8: Snack Smarter
- Chapter 9: Forget Fast Food: Dine Unrefined
- Chapter 10: Watch Less, Walk More
- Chapter 11: Go Lean On Meat, but Catch a Fish
- Chapter 12: Shake Your Salt Habit
- Chapter 13: Don't Smoke Your Life Away
- Chapter 14: Step Around Stress
- Chapter 15: If At First You Don't Succeed...
PART III: FAVORITE PRITIKIN RECIPES
PART IV: TWO-WEEK SAMPLE MENU
PART V: FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
APPENDIX A: Resistance Exercises for Losing Fat and Building Muscle
APPENDIX B: Full-Body Stretching Routine
APPENDIX C: Daily Nutrition Analysis with Weekly Averages
The focus of AthleteInMe.com® is on the health benefits of exercise. The Pritikin Edge only devotes 15 pages total (Appendix A and B) to exercise. For those reasons, normally this wouldn't be a book I would write a detailed review on. However, because the Pritikin Program is world famous, and because their philosophy for optimizing health is in sync with ours, I wanted to provide a review.
|Reviewed by: Stan Reents, PharmD
||10/1/2020 1:05:22 PM