Advanced Sports Nutrition, 2nd ed.
| Year Published:
AthleteInMe.com® Rating: Good
Advanced Sports Nutrition, 2nd ed. is a comprehensive resource on sports nutrition for the competitive athlete. The 1st edition of this book (published in 2006) was a best-seller.
Recommended for: academics, athletic trainers, elite athletes.
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Author Dan Benardot, PhD, RD, FACSM, is a professor at Georgia State University. He received his PhD in human nutrition and health planning at Cornell U. in 1980 and is a registered and licensed dietician. Dr. Benardot's primary area of expertise is sports nutrition; his research interest is energy balance in young athletes. He cofounded and directs the Elite Athlete Performance Lab at Georgia State.
Dr. Benardot worked with the gold-medal-winning USA women's gymnastics team at the 1996 Atlanta Olympics and with medal-winning USA marathoners at the 2004 Athens Olympics. He is a Fellow of the American College of Sports Medicine.
The 411-page text is organized as follows:
PART I: Nutrition Sources for Athletes
- Chapter 1: Energy Nutrients
- Chapter 2: Vitamins and Minerals
- Chapter 3: Fluids and Electrolytes
- Chapter 4: Ergogenic Aids
PART II: Nutritional Aspects of Optimal Performance
- Chapter 5: GI Function and Energy Delivery
- Chapter 6: Nutrient and Fluid Timing
- Chapter 7: Oxygen Transportation and Utilization
- Chapter 8: Strategies for Anti-Inflammation and Muscular Health
PART III: Factors Affecting Nutrition Needs
- Chapter 9: Travel
- Chapter 10: High Altitude
- Chapter 11: Gender and Age
- Chapter 12: Body Composition and Weight
PART IV: Nutrition Strategies for Specific Energy Systems
- Chapter 13: Anaerobic Metabolism for High-Intensity Bursts and Power
- Chapter 14: Aerobic Metabolism for Endurance
- Chapter 15: Metabolic Needs for Both Power and Endurance
PART V: Nutrition Plans for Specific Sports
- Chapter 16: Sports Requiring Power and Speed
- Chapter 17: Sports Requiring Endurance
- Chapter 18: Sports Requiring Combined Power and Endurance
Our review of this 2nd edition will be posted soon. Until then, see our review of the 3rd edition.
OTHER BOOKS LIKE THIS
The 3rd edition of "Advanced Sports Nutrition" was published in August 2020:
|Reviewed by: Stan Reents, PharmD
||9/7/2020 10:14:00 AM