Advanced Sports Nutrition, 2nd ed.
| Year Published:
Advanced Sports Nutrition, 2nd ed. is a comprehensive resource on sports nutrition for the competitive athlete. The 1st edition of this book (published in 2006) was a best-seller.
Recommended for: academics, athletic trainers, elite athletes.
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
Author Dan Benardot, PhD, RD, FACSM, is a professor at Georgia State University. He received his PhD in human nutrition and health planning at Cornell U. in 1980 and is a registered and licensed dietician. Dr. Benardot's primary area of expertise is sports nutrition; his research interest is energy balance in young athletes. He cofounded and directs the Elite Athlete Performance Lab at Georgia State.
Dr. Benardot worked with the gold-medal-winning USA women's gymnastics team at the 1996 Atlanta Olympics and with medal-winning USA marathoners at the 2004 Athens Olympics. He is a Fellow of the American College of Sports Medicine.
The 411-page text is organized as follows:
PART I: Nutrition Sources for Athletes
- Chapter 1: Energy Nutrients
- Chapter 2: Vitamins and Minerals
- Chapter 3: Fluids and Electrolytes
- Chapter 4: Ergogenic Aids
PART II: Nutritional Aspects of Optimal Performance
- Chapter 5: GI Function and Energy Delivery
- Chapter 6: Nutrient and Fluid Timing
- Chapter 7: Oxygen Transportation and Utilization
- Chapter 8: Strategies for Anti-Inflammation and Muscular Health
PART III: Factors Affecting Nutrition Needs
- Chapter 9: Travel
- Chapter 10: High Altitude
- Chapter 11: Gender and Age
- Chapter 12: Body Composition and Weight
PART IV: Nutrition Strategies for Specific Energy Systems
- Chapter 13: Anaerobic Metabolism for High-Intensity Bursts and Power
- Chapter 14: Aerobic Metabolism for Endurance
- Chapter 15: Metabolic Needs for Both Power and Endurance
PART V: Nutrition Plans for Specific Sports
- Chapter 16: Sports Requiring Power and Speed
- Chapter 17: Sports Requiring Endurance
- Chapter 18: Sports Requiring Combined Power and Endurance
(review coming soon.....)
|Reviewed by: Stan Reents, PharmD
||6/2/2014 5:10:42 PM